Monday, October 14, 2013

a new season

Life often brings unexpected changes.

Seven years ago life surprised us  with the arrival of our youngest son.

We were able to wrap our heads around it and eventually our life changed to include this new family member and now we can't imagine it any other way.

Now we have a new change.

Two months ago we added a new member to our household. My husband's 14 year old grandson. This one has been a little harder for me to adjust to.

Two months in and I am still adjusting. The whole family is still trying to figure out how this new person fits in.

I know he must feel the same way.

He has been a part of our lives since he was a baby-weekend visits once a month or so. Raised in a different household with different rules and a different view of the world.

I know he must feel like an outsider sometimes-sometimes I feel the same way. Longing for a moment with just my kids.

I want him to be able to feel he has a home-but we struggle. it has only been two months.

beyond that honeymoon period where everyone is on their best behavior-but not quite to the point where we have been able to get used to the changes.

We will be facing the challenges of providing holidays. Already feeling the stretch of feeding another teenage boy-clothing him.
He is in public school. That alone has taken a while for me to adjust to. Waking every morning fixing a warm meal and dispensing medication before sending him of to catch the bus.

I am sure at some point this will all feel like second nature to me. Right now I struggle with resentment toward his parents who seem to hold little regard for the gift of parenthood.

I struggle to not let that resentment spill over toward this child who just wants to be a part of our family. Who wants to feel the love he sees our children have received.

I work every day to encourage my heart to include him-to feel compassion despite the rolling eyes and teenage attitude that sometimes permeates his being.

Time will bring us all together. Someday we will not be able to imagine it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment